Re: Compiling and installing third party gnome apps...

/usr/local is a different PREFIX to /usr. The Gnu standard is to use
/usr/local, the Redhat-compatible standard is to use /usr. If you
install gnome into /usr it will pick up applications in /usr. The same
is true for /usr/local or /opt/gnome2 or any PREFIX you can dream up.

So my advice is to install your apps into /usr with
./configure --prefix=/usr