Re: Compiling and installing third party gnome apps...

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 19:12, MArk Finlay wrote:
> /usr/local is a different PREFIX to /usr. The Gnu standard is to use
> /usr/local, the Redhat-compatible standard is to use /usr. If you
> install gnome into /usr it will pick up applications in /usr. The same
> is true for /usr/local or /opt/gnome2 or any PREFIX you can dream up.
>
> So my advice is to install your apps into /usr with
> ./configure --prefix=/usr

No. /usr is for software installed by your distribution, /usr/local is
for software you install. Read the FHS for more details.

Installing software to /usr can be a bad thing, especially if you
accidentally overwrite something under the control of the package
manager.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>