Re: What libs make GNOME GNOME2

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 21:53, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:16:41AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > I'm not sure this is appropriate, "GNOMEness" means more than just use of
> > libraries. That's why I said "appropriate use of GNOME platform libraries"
> > before. For instance, an application may just use GTK+, libglade, GConf and
> > gnome-vfs, and it could be a perfectly GNOMEy program.
> >
> > It's kind of hard to define in absolute terms at the moment, which is a bit
> > of a problem in itself. Kind of. At least to developers who think "I want to
> > write a GNOME program, how do I do that?" it's a problem. :-)
>
> I really would like people to think "HIG" and "UI design process"
> rather than "checklist of APIs/libraries" - though some libs may
> make things a lot easier.

Oh I agree, and it looks like I'll be going there, but I'm trying to get
through a language bindings issue right now.   I really do thing the
measure is that an app behaves well with the desktop and it's
applications.  Hold this thought.  I'll catch up to the GNOME best
practices and concepts in a bit.

Maybe I've asked the wrong question.  I'm following the scenario of "I
have a problem to solve and I'm investigating what language bindings
offer the best means to solve it"?  A table of bindings, and what libs
they provide is moot, beside being unworkable.  If, as you imply, it is
how the app behaves, not what it specifically uses to accomplish that
behavior, then all I want summary of notable features for language
bindings that claim to support GNOME.  But does that mean that Ximians
OpenOffice is a better GNOME2 app than  older versions of Dia and
Abiword because they did strange things with fonts and printers?

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.