Re: epiphany toolbar/bookmarks

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 10:02, Seth Nickell wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 01:00, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > gnomedesktop has lots of vague complaints about the epiphany bookmark
> > system, though I can't make much sense of it and I'm not sure whether it's
> > just the same kid posting repeatedly. And I've also heard some vague
> > criticism of the bookmarks or toolbars from more reliable sources.
> >
> > So, if necessary, can we have a quick and constructive thread about this?
> > Maybe with real-life examples?
> >
> > The GNOME 2.4 feature freeze is June 9th and the UI freeze is July 7:
> > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.3/
> > I'm not sure which one this affects, but there's a danger that it would have
> > to wait until GNOME 2.6 if we don't deal with it fast. Or maybe there's
> > nothing to deal with - I don't know what the problem is.
>
> My current feeling is:
>
> 1) There are serious usability problems with Ephy in this area
> 2) They can be hacked around by the inclusion of a sub-menu that uses
> the categories to the extent that Ephy won't cause serious usability
> problems on this front.
> 3) There are better ways to do it, and if Marco/Dave has time I hope to
> work with him on fixing this area of Ephy.

So I discussed this with seth a bit on irc and I think we come with a
good plan.

There are some problems using a separate window as main way to access
bookmarks (basically it requires too many clicks and extra window
management). We plan to work on it but we think it would be better to
wait post 2.4, for stability.
As temporary hack we would introduce a bookmarks menu. (This would solve
also some other problems I posted in my previous mail).

We think it's ok to flat down the hierarchy starting with 2.4 though.

For example:
Computers->GNOME->www.gnome.org will be translated to
GNOME->www.gnome.org

The choice of a flat system is positive, it will be kept also with the
post 2.4 design improvements, so there are no reasons to not do it now.

(I can do this before feature freeze)

Marco