Re: Assistive Technologies startup

Mark McLoughlin <mark skynet ie> writes:

> 	Neither option is particularly pretty, though. We currently lack any
> method by which you can add an application to the saved session without
> re-saving the entire session. Allowing this would be really nice, but
> seeing as Bill needs a solution for 2.4, it doesn't really help us.

I think it falls under 'system services' and are thus session
independent.  We can have the session manager launch them on startup.
However, I can see us changing our mind on this in the future[1] if we
want to have different a11y solutions in different sessions.

Along these lines, should these apps be session managed so they can be
respawned if killed?

> 	To spread further confusion on the subject ... the previously
> recommended way (according to Bill) to have ATs started on login was to
> add them to session-manual. If we go with option 2), we need to figure
> out a mechanism by which we don't end up starting multiple copies of the
> ATs and also provide a sane migration path.

It seems the easiest way to do this is to modify the AT's to prevent
multiple instances from starting up.  That seems nicer than a
potentially fragile check within the users session.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

[1] when we get a new gnome-session maintainer.