RE: [Setup-tool-hackers] RE: 2.4: System Tools - Please try them

> El dom, 08-06-2003 a las 00:50, Andrew Sobala escribió:
> > It's worth looking at the Ximian control center.

http://www.ximian.com/images/screenshots/desktop/control-center-intl-keyboar
d.png

> Although blatantly straight from Largish Hardware And Operating System
> Corporation, imho it solves the usability problems of a) the old
> 1.4/deprecated 2.x shell and b) the 2.x menus. It presents all the
> capplets in categories, so they're easy to find, but at the same time so
> they don't hide. So maybe we should think about using this as a 2.6
> thing; I don't know what the usability team think.

> In this model, I would expect g-s-t (and apps requiring root access) to
> be in the window, maybe under a disclosure widget that hides them unless
> they're requested. But I don't know much about usability.

I've seen this in MacOS X and I never saw the point personally. How is it
easier to use them if they are icons on one big window than if they are
icons in a hierarchical menu? Also, doesn't this just encourage us to have
lots of little control panels because we can categorise them, instead of
having fewer sensible control panels?

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com