Re: Spring Loaded Folders Reloaded

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 13:55, Noah Levitt wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 13:04:12 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd say that when a law is ridiculous you're not forced to obey it. This
> > > is the case here. We should NEVER respect software patents because
> > > respecting them reinforces them. I really think it's our duty not to
> > > respect them.
> >
> > Unfortunately, whether you respect them or not, doesn't stop you from
> > being sued for millions of dollars, thrown in jail, and otherwise having
> > your life utterly ruined by a greedy bastard in a suit who already has
> > more money than you ever will.
>
> Can you cite a precedent for this outrageous claim?

Companies get sued all the time for this crap.  Don't tell me you think
an individual is immune?

> > The correct thing to do, for all the US citizens here, is to get off
> > their rears and write some letters to their representative/senator, or
> > use the EFF Action Center (http://action.eff.org).  Anyone who won't
> > take the 30 minutes to do this should from here out shut up and never
> > complain about stupid laws again, since it's obviously not worth their
> > time to correct it.
> >

> There are many ways to protest unjust laws. Civil
> disobedience is among them. I'm sure I don't need to cite an
> example (Rosa Parks :-).

Like I said, this isn't worth the above.  Going to jail or suffering
huge fines for something that simply sending some letters in will help
with is silly.  If you can't get off your lazy ass to send in letters,
why are you willing to arrested?