Re: how to specify the preferred control for a mime type?

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 04:15, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Jaka,
>
> On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 22:31, Jaka Mocnik wrote:
> > if two controls - ggv and gpdf - support one mime type, is there a
> > general way (without prepending the control oafid to the moniker) to
> > specify which one is preferred to be resolved to when doing a
> > bonobo_get_object() for that mime type?
>
> 	Nope; sadly not - there is rather a confusion of systems for
> determining the defaults of anything. The best way is to have a single
> component - that works brilliantly [ in an ideal world ;-].

Hmmm... the best-of-breed approach may work in some situations, but not
for all.  Once pluggable editors become ubiquitous (heh! - I'm working
on gnome-vim again), there will be machines with multiple controls
installed for a specific mime-type, and different users who swear by
each of them.  Users will want to be able to choose which editor will
handle "text/plain" (and rightly so).

I haven't looked at the code behind the scenes, but the "File types and
programs" dialog does keep track of the preferred "Viewer Component".
This could be a naive suggestion (as I'm only a bonobo-newbie), but
could libbonobo offer a bonobo_get_object_preferred() function which
used these preferences to select a control?

peace,

--
Jason D. Hildebrand
jason peaceworks ca