Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 12:12, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 20:57, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > We (KDE) do have a great and a working message bus, but we still
> > consider D-BUS a hugely interesting development with an infinite
> > number of possible uses and IMHO you're (general statement, not
> > replying to your email Jeff :) ) judging the work of Havoc, Anders
> > and other D-BUS contributors a little bit too harsh. Some of you
> > seem to be disappointed that they don't spend more time on more
> > immediate GNOME tasks, some that D-BUS doesn't use CORBA
>
> well, I don't think the concern has been exactly that it doesn't use
> CORBA, but why not using the existing framework we already have in
> place, fully tested and working so far.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. We don't have an existing CORBA
framework. We have DCOP and if you want to ask why not use CORBA then I
want to ask you why don't you use DCOP? It's a rhetoric question of
course that in practice would lead to months of flamewars and all I
want to say is that GNOME is not the only recipient of DBus and you
have to look at the whole picture when considering why a particular
technology hasn't been used.

Thanks,
Zack

--
Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.