Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 18:52, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 March 2003 12:12, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 20:57, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > > We (KDE) do have a great and a working message bus, but we still
> > > consider D-BUS a hugely interesting development with an infinite
> > > number of possible uses and IMHO you're (general statement, not
> > > replying to your email Jeff :) ) judging the work of Havoc, Anders
> > > and other D-BUS contributors a little bit too harsh. Some of you
> > > seem to be disappointed that they don't spend more time on more
> > > immediate GNOME tasks, some that D-BUS doesn't use CORBA
> >
> > well, I don't think the concern has been exactly that it doesn't use
> > CORBA, but why not using the existing framework we already have in
> > place, fully tested and working so far.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying here. We don't have an existing CORBA
> framework.

yes, you have, thanks to the GPL/LGPL, you can freely use ORBit2 for
whatever you want. I'm not saying that CORBA is The Solution for all,
but maybe, given the huge improvements done in ORBit2, it might be a
thing to consider instead of just saying "we don't use CORBA".

>  We have DCOP and if you want to ask why not use CORBA then I
> want to ask you why don't you use DCOP?

I'm not going to enter into any flamewar about what is best and what is
worst, but a possible answer to this question is "CORBA is a standard
that would make it easier to integrate with other environments, while
DCOP isn't".

cheers