Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 15:11, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
|  On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 01:37, Zack Rusin wrote:
|  > Now to the point - those things are impossible to discuss without any
|  > kind of design. But the way our accessability people wanted to do it
|  > was to add a compile time option to make a binary plugin that bridges
|  > Qt and ATK (I don't think Qt using Pango is realistic).
|
|  why is it not realistic? Pango was designed so that it can be used in QT
|  and other toolkits.

Why, for the heaven's sake, you want Qt using Pango?
Qt has same functionality as Pango "built-in", so adding Pango to Qt has no
reasonable explanation.

|  >  So Qt would
|  > never even see any GObjects and there still were people dissatisfied
|  > with adding another plugin to Qt and the project got stuck with not
|  > enough man power and the conclusion was that it just makes more sense
|  > to do it natively (by the way if you want to talk to that team the time
|  > is now since they're starting coding native interfaces)
|  > So, yes, GObject seems to be a big problem for adopting GNOME
|  > technologies and pitching a technology using GObject to KDE is going to
|  > be incredibly hard (even for such a wonderful project as GStreamer) for
|  > you guys.
|
|  that is a pity, since all GNOME technology is based on GObject. So that
|  means none of the current GNOME technologies are valid for sharing with
|  KDE, despite the efforts already made (Pango, ATK, for instance) to make
|  that possible.

I don't know about ATK, but I am familiar with font technologies.
There is no reason why Pango should be used in KDE.
Thanks to Keith, we have now FontConfig, and FontConfig is supported by both
Qt and Pango, so font selection mechanism is somewhat unified.

As I said in another mail, we still need to work on unifying font-embedding
and PDF generation.

[...]

--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released
http://svgicons.sourceforge.net