Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 00:35, Zack Rusin wrote:
I am just tired of hearing glib brought up as a problem everytime
code sharing is discussed because at this point that should be a
non-issue.
GLib in itself is never an issue we can deal with core glib just fine, I just don't want any gobject's in core libraries and I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Pango and ATK both use GObject, so, would that mean that we're going to
have to write a replacement for them to share it with KDE when it comes
to sharing accessibility/fonts because of the gobject dependency?
While it would be nice to share pango (a lot of the layout code in pango is decidedly non-trivial), we are able to share a font subsystem through the use of fontconfig/Xft.

As far as accessibility goes, it might make more sense for KDE to look at compatibility at the AT-SPI layer, rather than ATK layer. This is what the Sun guys are doing to hook Java a11y into the system, and should let all the a11y tools work with KDE apps. Of course, Bill Haneman is the expert in this particular area.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/