Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 00:35, Zack Rusin wrote:

> > I am just tired of hearing glib brought up as a problem everytime
> > code sharing is discussed because at this point that should be a
> > non-issue.
>
> GLib in itself is never an issue we can deal with core glib just fine, I
> just don't want any gobject's in core libraries and I think that's a
> reasonable expectation.

Pango and ATK both use GObject, so, would that mean that we're going to
have to write a replacement for them to share it with KDE when it comes
to sharing accessibility/fonts because of the gobject dependency?

I put my vote for sharing as much with KDE (and others) as possible, and
I really like (and follow) the discussions taking place in
freedesktop.org, but if sharing means replacing all GNOME technology
"because it uses gobject", then I think all the concerns raised by
people on this issue are totally right. If they are to be replaced with
technically better implementations, then that's ok, but based on poor
arguments such as "it uses gobject" might be a good reason for KDE, but
not at all for GNOME.

cheers