Re: KDE Interop [Was: D-BUS background]

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 17:51, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 19:58, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 March 2003 13:37, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > yes, you have, thanks to the GPL/LGPL, you can freely use ORBit2
> > > for whatever you want. I'm not saying that CORBA is The Solution
> > > for all, but maybe, given the huge improvements done in ORBit2,
> > > it might be a thing to consider instead of just saying "we don't
> > > use CORBA".
> >
> > heh, you don't really believe what you're saying are you? You just
> > said that we should adopt ORBit2 with GObject, GModule and linc
> > because it uses CORBA...
>
> Well since it look like GNOME and KDE will share libraries in the
> accessibility and multimedia area, libraries which today use glib,
> I don't see why ORBit2's glib usage is an issue. That said I do
> understand that getting KDE using CORBA is probably a lost cause, but

Please, oh please stop spreading rumors. It's true we are working on a
new multimedia framework for KDE 4. It's true that we consider
GStreamer. It's _not_ true that we reached even a semi-formal decision
on that matter and most probably won't for some quite time.

> I am just tired of hearing glib brought up as a problem everytime
> code sharing is discussed because at this point that should be a
> non-issue.

GLib in itself is never an issue we can deal with core glib just fine, I
just don't want any gobject's in core libraries and I think that's a
reasonable expectation.

Zack

--
There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one
works.