Re: RandR support in GNOME

Mark McLoughlin <mark skynet ie> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 08:22, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> > By chance, will RandR be fully supported by 2.4 release?
> >
> > By RandR support I mean a capplet in Control Center that will
> > actually allow you to change the resolution.  I think this would
> > be a nice feature and probably not very difficult to be able to
> > include in 2.4 (just a guess, I don't know how RandR extension
> > actually works)
>
> 	Yes, if someone writes it :-)

Anders wrote most of a dialog to do this, and it could prolly be gotten
into CVS.  Also, the 'xrandr' command works well too.  I had two
issues with it:

 * It's not clear to me where best to store this value.  It can be
   stored in GConf, but it seems to be a per-display value more than
   anything.  It clearly doesn't make sense w/ a multi-HEAD setup.

 * What's the life-cycle of the setting?  Per session?  If I log out and
   log back in, should g-s-d reset it?  What if I log into a different
   machine?

Mark, how do you plan to have the panel handle different resolutions
in the future?

> > In GNOME I know that we have partially implemented this but I
> > don't know what that means.  Does that mean that if you change
> > the resolution that apps "get it"?  Does GTK have an API for
> > doing RandR already?
>
> 	GTK+ 2.2 introduced the "size_changed" signal on GdkScreen which the
> panel (and Nautilus) reacts to by re-sizing. So yes, the apps that need
> to, "get it".

Unfortunately, some of the randr-aware apps sometimes get stuck at the
wrong size.  Xrandr support will definitely need some debugging.

Thanks,
-Jonathan