Re: Question about html widget.

About a year or so back, I proposed that a decent solution might be to
port KHTML (the KDE HTML widget) to GTK+. My reasons for this were:

1. It's fast and lightweight.
2. It has support for native widgets, DOM and CSS
3. It supports editing (since KMail uses it)
4. People have already done it so it should not be too hard to do (At
that time AtheOS had done it. Much later, Apple announced that they have
done it as well).

However, this was shouted down maily because people felt that:

1. Too much effort was involved, effort better spent in improving the
existing widgets
2. It was not as good as mozilla and we should all be using Mozilla
anyway.
3. It had a K in it ? ;-)

However, currently (using CVS Mozilla) Mozilla has come far enough so
that:

1. It is faster than Gtkhtml1, gtkhtml2 and khtml
2. It is not that heavyweight (at least, on modern machines)
3. It supports CSS, DOM, etc. pretty well.
4. It supports editing (though the interface is not yet frozen and there
are some known limitations AFAIK)
5. It supports native look and feel (not yet in form widgets sadly, but
that IMO is not that important)
6. The "huge dependency" bit will go away when they release the GRE (I
think it is expected to be within 2M compressed)
7. The API is quite stable (at least, if you use GtkMozEmbed and don't
try anything too fancy)
8. The GTK2 version is very stable and supports all features of the GTk1
version (thgouh it is probably a bit slow)

So, given the situation, I personally feel that we should push towards
using Mozilla for all our HTML rendering/editing needs in the near
future.

--
Rgds,
Biswa.