Re: Question about html widget.

tor 2003-03-13 klockan 10.35 skrev Bastien Nocera:
> On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 05:15, James Henstridge wrote:

> > Unless you compile devhelp to use GtkMozEmbed ...
>
> Unless you compile yelp to use gtkhtml-3.0 ;)

/me hides :)

Seriously, the HTML widget situation in GNOME is a mess.

Basically what we have is:

Gtkhtml (which is named gtkhtml-3.0 in GNOME2):
+ Editing (needed by Evolution)
+ Fast
- Doesn't support CSS
- Doesn't build a DOM tree

Gtkhtml2:
+ CSS
+ DOM tree
- Buggy
- Unmaintained (Padraig is fixing bugs but I don't think he does any
                development on it, is that correct Padraig?)

Gecko:
+ Support pretty much everything
- Doesn't support native widgets for everything (like scrollbars)
- Makes a huge dependency with depending on Mozilla

The reason I use what I use in Yelp and Devhelp is:

Yelp needs to be accessable and therefor needs CSS and DOM, it also
needs to use the theme settings for background color, fonts and other
style settings. Therefor only Gtkhtml2 currently live up to that.

In Devhelp I use Gtkhtml2 pretty much since I used it in Yelp. However
Gtkhtml2 shows several bugs when used in Devhelp that isn't noticable in
Yelp so I added Gecko as an optional support to be able to use that
myself. According to Richard there are some extra startup time when you
run with Gecko, nothing I've noticed though.

Regards and hope it helpts,
  Micke

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/