Re: passing variables to the gnome panel

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:18:49AM +0000, J Sigbrandt wrote:
> Used to have this in gnome-panel -> properties -> command:
>      "gdict -a $(xpaste.console)"
>
> xpaste.console is a terminal program that grabs stuff in the clipboard and
> can pass it to a bash script, for example. So, using it in the panel means
> that anything in the clipboard is passed to gdict when the panel icon is
> pressed.
>
> This doesn't work anymore - now gdict tries to lookup the word
> "$(xpaste.console)" and is not very successful!
>
> How do I re-enable this functionality?

This is not really a question for desktop-devel, more for gnome-list (in
future).

However, to answer your question: gnome-dictionary no longer takes any
command line parameters (from looking at the source). If you want to add
that functionality for your own use, the best way is to set up a popt
table to handle the -a option and process the options as part of the
call to gnome_program_init() in gnome-utils/gdictsrc/main.c.

Malcolm