Re: 2.4 Module List and Rationale (aka GEP10 and 11)

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 10:02, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > This is absolutely cool stuff - I'd like to tentatively add 'zenity' and
> > 'battfink' to the list.

It's great to add to the GNOME desktop to make 'desktop' closer to
including the basic set of apps/needs common to a lot of end-users, so
I'm in favor of making GNOME more and more 'full-featured' over time.

That said, most new apps have at least a few places where they have
accessibility problems since developers rarely test with different
themes, mouse-unplugged, etc., and certainly not with GOK and
gnopernicus (yet).  We (the accessibility group) don't want to stand in
the way of progress, or make unreasonable demands on developers, but we
do have limited resources.  This means that we need to be selective in
the new applications and widgets which we assess for accessibility.

Perhaps the best approach would be twofold:

	* developers interested in doing their own initial accessibility
assessment are encouraged to do so, and we'll try to help;
	* the accessibility team gets a second "heads-up" for all new widgets
and apps once they have been "approved in principle" for an upcoming
release - with enough lead time to find and fix any serious
accessibility bugs.

Does this seem like a reasonable request?  I'd love to test-drive every
new candidate for inclusion but it's just not feasible at the moment.

best regards,

Bill

--
Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com>