Re: 2.4 Module List and Rationale (aka GEP10 and 11)

Hi guys.

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 20:03, Luis Villa wrote:
> I've put up GEP 10, Standards for Inclusion in the GNOME , as well as
> GEP 11, Module List for 2.4.
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html
> http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-11.html

About GEP 10
------------

Section 2.3.3 said: "Deprecated parts of the platform (like
gnome-config) have to be avoided".

Please, note that gnome-config is not deprecated. It must not be used to
manage user preferences. But it is still a great (and not deprecated)
tool for storing app state (for example when implementing session
management and the app state is too complex to simply use the command
line).

About GEP 11
------------

As you probably have notices the gedit module has been split into two
modules: gedit and gedit-plugins. For this reason, I propose to add
gedit-plugins module to the list of GNOME 2.4 modules.

Furthermore, since gedit is going to use GtkSourceView as text widget, I
also propose to add gtksourceview to the list of GNOME 2.4 (desktop)
modules.

GtkSourceView is a widget derived by GtkTextView/Buffer. gedit will use
it to implement syntax highlighting.

ATM, I'm working together with Gustavo to improve it. You can see the
results of our work in the "toward-gedit-integration" branch of the
gtksourceview module (in GNOME CVS) [1].

Note that this widget is quite popular and apps like anjuta2, mono
debugger, DiaSCE and others use it. Some of them have simply added it to
their code using a cut and paste approach. So adding it to the desktop
release will also reduce code duplication.

Ciao,
Paolo

[1] Gutavo and me are the new maintainer of gtksourceview.

--
Paolo Maggi                      E-mail: paolo DOT maggi AT polito DOT it
Dip. Automatica e Informatica    Tel.  : + 39 011 564 7078

A Bugless Program is an Abstract Theoretical Concept.