Re: [Usability]Notification Area guidelines

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:28:03PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Robert McMeekin">
>
> > In just about every scenario mentioned in this thread, the notification
> > area is not a useful `feature' in that it's use overlaps with what applets
> > are already doing.
>
> That's entirely correct -> the point is that the notification area serves
> certain functions with a far, far better user interface than applets.

Could you give a few examples where (and why) notify-icons give a far
better user interface, execpt for things that really only appear if a
application is running?

I agree that a application, that tries to add a applet if started and
remove it on exit, is an evil hack. So an eMail application that displays
and icon if running and a message has arrived is an good use for this.

But I'd be interested in advantages of the usage of notify-icon for
system-monitor (exept for addictional alarms), randr (resulution changing)
and similar things that just feel like an ideal use for applets.

Maybe we just see some of the more quick shot ideas and are scared by
them?

Martin H.