Re: 2.4 Module List and Rationale (aka GEP10 and 11)

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 17:42, Jean-Michel Ardantz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le jeu 13/03/2003 à 20:03, Luis Villa a écrit :
> > I've put up GEP 10, Standards for Inclusion in the GNOME , as well as
> > GEP 11, Module List for 2.4.
> >
> > http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html
> > http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-11.html
>

> Apps that would be interesting, in my opinion, for a more complete and
> coherent desktop.

Basically all of the apps you suggest would be interesting and/or quite
important. Each have some problems, though, as far as I can tell.

> 1- Multimedia applications because gnome 2.2 as only a CD player.
> rhythmbox (music organizer), gst-player (generic media player, MP3,
> mpeg, DVD). Both use the same framework gstreamer (used also by the CD
> player). But those applications need to be more mature.

Rhythmbox is not currently a stable or mature player, nor has it had
substantial hacking activity in a month or so. Perhaps GEP 10 should
mention hacker involvement as well as attitude? We don't want to add
unmaintained or inactive programs to the platform.

> 2- magicdev from Redhat distro. It is a gnome 2 application, using glade
> and gconf, and have a simple property window. The user can choose the
> application to launch automatically when inserting a music CD, a DVD, a
> data CD. Should be in the control center package.

As far as I understand, magicdev is highly RH-specific and includes
dependencies not just on Linux but even on RH kernel patches. Clearly
not acceptable under 2.3.5 (though perhaps platformedness should be more
clear here?) (FWIW, I'd be happy to be wrong on the RH-specifity of
magicdev.)

> 3- A gtk2/gnome window to replace the default xscreensaver lock window
> (add coherence to the desktop).

Code has to exist before it can be added :)

> 4- Network and administration tools but probably this will be done when
> gnome-network and gnome-system-tools will be mature.

Maturity is definitely something we need here, but it's definitely
something to look at once they get further along (IMHO). Definitely
seems to qualify under most criteria in GEP 10, though.

Luis