Re: Building *bonobo* docs ...

bOn Wed, 2003-03-19 at 08:59, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">
>
> > Does anyone know what is happening with this? If Christian doesn't have
> > time, I believe John Fleck is ready to help out too.
>
> Whilst I have been away from the net a bit recently (grrrrr), I have been
> working on a simple docs building thingy.
>
> It works on my machine, but I can't upload the results or get it working on
> widget just yet (28MB generated in total, from glib to libgnomeui, and I'll
> have to fart around with auto* to make it work on widget).

Is this somehow more systematic than what we are doing now or is
it just "simple hack that Jeff understands" rather than
"simple hack that Owen understands"?

Things are probably a *bit* easier than the stuff in update-devel-docs
now, since most things standardized on /usr/share/gtk-doc/html instead
of installing all over the place, but it's still not a completely
trivial thing.

You basically need:

 - A from-CVS build script
 - Some extra glue to extra the docs, create tarballs, put the
   unpacked docs and tarballs in the right place.

If we can reuse something existing for the first, that's a good thing
(though doing anything too heavy on widget is not a great idea.)

Anyways, I'm not one bit attached to what we have currently ... but
I'd like to make sure we don't fall into the trap again of doing
something that is going to require extensive maintenance. And it's
worth at least looking at update-devel-docs-2 to see what it's doing
and what the output needs to be.

Though, Jeff, you aren't the right person to be doing this until
the new www.gnome.org is up. ;-)

Regards,
                                             Owen

(I got Christian the account ... don't know if anything happened
from there.)