Re: gnome-session: custom per-app icon

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 11:16, Sergey V. Oudaltsov wrote:

> > places? The problem is that it is fairly expensive to get the icon since
> Yes, you are right. Probably this is really bad idea - to scan all the
> places where we could get .desktop files. Especially at the session
> startup - when things should be as fast as they can. So I'd drop the
> idea of implementation based on .desktop. Still, the question to
> gnome-session maintainers: could you please commit my patch into CVS? Or
> are there any major reasons not to do it?

Couldn't gnome-session ask the applications for their icons in some way
when saving the session ? Also, it would probably be a good idea to
replace the foot/question mark icon to something that didn't look so
much like there was a problem with the icons.

This icon is the one used in the panel when a file is missing, it's not
a very nice thing to show to the user if there is actually no problem.

Maybe we could also change the session startup feedback, to something
like:
"Restoring settings" (gnome-settings-daemon)
"Launching Panel" (gnome-panel)
"Launching File Manager" (nautilus)
and then a generic
"Restoring Session" (launching all the other apps that aren't part of
the "core" desktop in that case)

I might have missed a couple of essential applications, but you get the
point.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault