RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - gpdf

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 09:15, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> >   gpdf - An xpdf-based PDF viewer.
> >   http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpdf/
>
> So this is meant in addition to ggv (already in the Desktop), right? I
> believe that ggv is for viewing postscript files mostly but can also view
> pdf files. Can gpdf view postscript files too? What's the deal with the
> duplicated functionality?

ggv sucks rocks at viewing pdf files?  ;-)  when it doesn't crash, it
either garbles half the documents I have, or just shows blank pages.
gpdf works great on all the ones I have.  ^,^

> Out of interest, what's the relationship between gpdf and xpdf. Is it a
> fork?

I think gpdf is derived from xpdf, could be wrong.

> This file-previewer thread passed me by until now:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-February/msg00427.htm
> It seems like a good idea to me, and maybe it should be a proposed module
> for 2.4. But unless something happens fast I think it's difficult to add
> something that doesn't exist yet.

Agreed; it's a great idea, but not something to block the release over.
2.6 could do it, I'm sure.