Re: gnome-themes-extras in GNOME 2.4

<quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">

> I also object to pulling some of the themes out of gnome-themes-extras
> as that would maim the gnome-themes-extras package.

Why? It's just a cvs move and build fixage.

> I see gnome-themes-extras as the gnome-svg-themes package and as such it
> is different from gnome-themes and it makes sense to keep it a separate
> package.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the difference. They're themes, for GNOME. Why
would we have two packages of themes distributed with the desktop release?
(unless one is a particularly special case, such as a11y themes, and we've
even avoided having a separate package for those, too...)

> Havoc also mentioned maintainership. I would like to point out that
> gnome-themes-extras has been worked on by me, Jimmac,  Yanko Kaneti, Alex
> Duggan and with contributions from Andrew Johnson and others over the last
> few months, while gnome-themes haven't afaik seen a commit since it was
> put together. Which means that if any of those themes has seen a
> update/bugfix it hasn't been included.

That has no impact on whether we ship two theme packages or not, or whether
we merge "themes we want to release with GNOME" into one module.

I fully agree with shipping some of the themes in gnome-themes-extras, even
if if means swapping themes out of gnome-themes (well, *especially* if it
means swapping themes out), but I really don't see any reason why we should
ship two themes tarballs. It makes no sense to me.

- Jeff

      "In addition to these ample facilities, there exists a powerful
       configuration tool called gcc." - Elliot Hughes, author of lwm