Re: Seahorse re: 2.4 Proposed Modules

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:45:33PM -0500, Jacob Perkins wrote:

> The main problem seems to be that if a user who knows nothing about
> crypto tries to use it, they will probably fail or worse. However, the
> same could be said about a lot of things.

Right, but virtually all of our users know nothing about crypto. I
would say even most people on this list would make at least one
dangerous mistake using gpg. I know I would and have.

How many of the people you want to communicate securely with know
anything about crypto? Bank tellers? Business associates? Fellow
conspirators in a non-computer-related undertaking? Friends and
family? Secret lovers?

Not saying seahorse is useless, but I am saying a more task-based
frontend could result in many times more data getting encrypted in
practice.

Of course, in practical terms we're a bit hosed by most people using
Windows no matter what we do.

Havoc