RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - gpdf

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 17:12, Martin Kretzschmar wrote:
> Am Don, 2003-05-01 um 15.15 schrieb Murray Cumming Comneon com:
> > So this is meant in addition to ggv (already in the Desktop), right? I
> > believe that ggv is for viewing postscript files mostly but can also view
> > pdf files. Can gpdf view postscript files too?
>
> No, unless xpdf turns into a ghostscript clone.
>
> > What's the deal with the duplicated functionality?
>
> Jaka wanted to drop pdf support, if gpdf would get into gnome.
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-February/msg00449.html
I'd be glad to: ggv really doesn't deal well with pdfs due to its way of
forking ghostscript and letting it render the PDF: it can't really take
advantage of the hierarchical document structure and embedded links that
are contained in the pdfs...

> I'm guilty. I've screamed ``yes'' and ``cool'' and ``no problem.'' And
> didn't code. IIRC only Jaka did some experiments to see how the gpdf
> component fits in the ggv shell.
I've changed ggv in HEAD to have a menu structure similar to those of
gpdf and nautilus in order to embedd the gpdf component better. But to
have gpdf viewer look really good when embedded in ggv shell, it would
be sweet if gpdf component would use the same sidebar with the page list
as ggv component does. Since its code is now in the ggv source tree,
perhaps gpdf should depend on ggv and make use of it. In the process, we
could improve the page list to support document hierarchy and page
previews, similarly to that of acrobat reader. I can help with the
latter, but first it would require some amount of work on martin's part
to link gpdf with ggv.

regards,
	jaKa

--