Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:13:32PM +0200, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > I really believe in VOIP and I think that VOIP will spread more and more
> > in the future. GNOME has the opportunity to officially include a VOIP
> > tool in its desktop release, perhaps you should think twice about it,
> > don't miss your future ;)
>
> I'm not sure I understand what VOIP is and what gnomemeeting provides in
> this domain. Does that mean that, for example, it would be possible to
> call a contact from Evolution on their phone using gnomemeeting ? Or do
> I miss the point totally ?

With the right handler, yes you could.  If SIP gets implemented a phone
number could easily be in an email address style and gnomemeeting could
theoretically call it using a headset.  Alternatively, if a business
uses VOIP (ie VOIP routers, phone adapter like the Cisco ATA 186)  It
could literally dial using a phone.

Look up Cisco and SIP in google or search for Free World Dialup.

sri