Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 06:08, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > Then I guess that discussion should be started :)
> > What would be reason to include a text editor and a pdf viewer but not a
> > web browser ?
>
> I think the problem is that there are a too much widely used browsers on
> Linux. Mozilla (Firebird in fact), Galeon an Epiphany are all great and
> I don't think it wouldn't be fair to promote one of them over others. I
> think it would be better to make sure that GNOME works great with all of
> them and let users choose which one they prefer.

This is a disservice to the users, I think.  Browsers like Firebird or
Konquerer and so on probably aren't going to work well with GNOME any
time soon, other than the "opens a window with a link."  Which is pretty
crappy so far as integration goes.

Furthermore, we don't _force_ users to use any web browser.  Just like
people can, if they don't care about a functional desktop, remove or
swap out Nautilus, Metacity, and so on.  And people _do_ get hot about
those... ;-)