Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 14:46, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 06:08, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > > Then I guess that discussion should be started :)
> > > What would be reason to include a text editor and a pdf viewer but not a
> > > web browser ?
> >
> > I think the problem is that there are a too much widely used browsers on
> > Linux. Mozilla (Firebird in fact), Galeon an Epiphany are all great and
> > I don't think it wouldn't be fair to promote one of them over others. I
> > think it would be better to make sure that GNOME works great with all of
> > them and let users choose which one they prefer.
>
> This is a disservice to the users, I think.  Browsers like Firebird or
> Konquerer and so on probably aren't going to work well with GNOME any
> time soon, other than the "opens a window with a link."  Which is pretty
> crappy so far as integration goes.
>
> Furthermore, we don't _force_ users to use any web browser.  Just like
> people can, if they don't care about a functional desktop, remove or
> swap out Nautilus, Metacity, and so on.  And people _do_ get hot about
> those... ;-)

How useful is epiphany from the embeddable component point of view?
Wouldn't including an HTML browser in our desktop allow programs to
assume the existence of a really sweet HTML viewer; devhelp, yelp, and
IM clients spring to mind.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"A freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." -- unknown