Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

Andrew Sobala writes:
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 14:46, Sean Middleditch wrote:
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 06:08, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > Then I guess that discussion should be started :)
> > What would be reason to include a text editor and a pdf viewer but not a
> > web browser ?
> > I think the problem is that there are a too much widely used browsers on
> Linux. Mozilla (Firebird in fact), Galeon an Epiphany are all great and
> I don't think it wouldn't be fair to promote one of them over others. I
> think it would be better to make sure that GNOME works great with all of
> them and let users choose which one they prefer.
This is a disservice to the users, I think.  Browsers like Firebird or
Konquerer and so on probably aren't going to work well with GNOME any
time soon, other than the "opens a window with a link."  Which is pretty
crappy so far as integration goes.
Furthermore, we don't _force_ users to use any web browser.  Just like
people can, if they don't care about a functional desktop, remove or
swap out Nautilus, Metacity, and so on.  And people _do_ get hot about
those... ;-)

How useful is epiphany from the embeddable component point of view?
Wouldn't including an HTML browser in our desktop allow programs to
assume the existence of a really sweet HTML viewer; devhelp, yelp, and
IM clients spring to mind.

Well epiphany currently includes an optional nautilus view, that other apps could use for embedding. Although in most cases apps will probably just want to use gtkmozembed directly, and actually devhelp can be configured to do just that right now. dave