Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - nautilus-cd-burner and gnome-vfs funkines s

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 08:30, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 10:27, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Otherwise n-c-b is all about managing and virtualizing files, and the
> > way we do that in the gnome platform is to use gnome-vfs. Its much less
> > cracky than some other usages of gnome-vfs (themes:? printers:?) in that
> > it actually handles real files, and has normal file semantics.
>
> FWIW, themes:/// handles real files. The hacky bit is that the file can
> change when it enters the module (installing a theme actually
> decompresses it to other places on the file system, and the file that
> appears in themes:/// is only one file from the tarball).

Alex mentioned hiding the "burn:///" URI from within Nautilus, however I
tend to think that this feature would be useful in innumerable places.
It essentially highlights the differences between a file's name and its
"title."  Being able to differentiate between the title and the filename
at the gnome-vfs level has many, many benefits outside of "burn:///" or
"fonts:///" or Nautilus in general.  Of course, doing this cleanly, from
within gnome-vfs, is another question.  Yet-another-mime-type-plugin
seems kind of ugly to me, and doesn't cover all of the cases.  Notably,
it fails on special URIs like fonts:/// or burn:/// which are all the
same "x-directory" mime type, unless those URIs get changed to something
like x-font-directory but that breaks a lot of other stuff instead . . .
--
Shahms King <shahms shahms com>