Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - nautilus-cd-burner and gnome-vfs funkines s

Il ven, 2003-05-09 alle 09:47, Murray Cumming Comneon com ha scritto:

> Why can't we use a standard folder in the home directory for this instead of
> a special gnome-vfs scheme? It might feel more comfortable than opening a
> nautilus window that I won't use, just so I can see the Go menu, so I can
> choose the "CD Creator" menu item.

Something like make a fake/virtual mount of a fake/virtual CD-RW drive
when you insert a medium, put an icon on desktop and use "Burn now" from
its popup menu?
It can be really cool, especially using magicdev :-)

There is another trouble: go to burn:// location and copy here a couple
of folders, then enter in one folder. 'cause you are browsing burn://
locations the "Write to CD" button is in toolbar when you are in
burn:///Folder1/ too.
Now my question, as user: "What's happening when I click "Write to CD"
button when I'm in burn:///Folder1? Will I write all stuff in burn:///
or just files in Folder1?"

> I would be slightly happier if burn:/// was just what you saw when viewing a
> blank CD in a CD-burner drive, and if that was not available in any other
> way. That wouldn't allow people to create .iso with nautilus-cd-burner, but
> I think it's OK to leave all but the most-obvious functionality to
> specialized CD-burning apps.

mmhhh dunno. It works fine, IMHO you can simply 'hide' this feature:
e.g. you can't access from directly from nautilus to burn:// location,
but you can do it invoking nautilus-cd-burner executable.

> I'd like to hear how Apple do this. I don't think they still make as good
> decisions as they used to, but hopefully it makes a bit more sense.

Take a look at burning section at www.xvsxp.com (a really interesting
comparison between MacOSX and WinXP, sometimes is useful too) or a brief
description from http://www.acs.nmu.edu/laptop10.htm

_BUT_ a little warning: Apple build HW+kernel+desktop, MS kernel+desktop
and HW follow it, GNOME project just only desktop for a lot of different
kernels and 'unsupported' HW.

> I know that everyone thinks nautilus-cd-burner is cool, but surely people
> recognise that there's something hacky about it?

Yes, me too. But probably it's just a labels/phrases/outplaced stuff
trouble.

BTW a little features proposal
      * "burn CD" commands in nautilus window should be disabled if
        burn:// is empty
      * side pane (and/or titlebar) should show 'used' space in burn://
      * burn:// location should use a gnome-[fs|dev]-cd-burner.png icon

By

--
Think bigger

			My uncle