Re: GEP 10, again [was RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting]

Hello Luis and the others,

Le mar 13/05/2003 à 23:08, Luis Villa a écrit :

[..]

> It is my personal opinion that gnome-meeting probably belongs in under
> the phrase 'stable platform for improvement and integration'. Big apps
> (gnumeric, etc.) can benefit from little apps (gnomemeeting) that
> provide communication and interoperability.

That is right.

> Damien: how do you feel about the integration part of this? I know
> you've suggested some ways (you register a mime handler now, right?)

Currently I'm registering a callto url-handler that can be used by other
applications. For example, Epiphany is already able to use it, if
somebody embeds his callto URL into a webpage, clicking on it will start
GnomeMeeting (or communicate it the new URL if it is already running)
and call that person.

> that this would be improved, but I'm curious if you have other
> examples/ideas where this could benefit us.

I've already thought about this and I'm open to all propositions and to
discussion about that topic. Currently, I think the best integration
level can be achieved with URLs (Microsoft Callto URLs, H.323 URLs, and
later SIP URLs).

I don't plan to provide with GnomeMeeting a library or a coding
framework to create new applications, but I think that it is very
important for GnomeMeeting to be usable by other applications. That
could mean a BONOBO component (even though I'm not sure it is really the
way to go) or the current URL scheme that could be integrated in more
applications.

Imagine for example syncing between the GnomeMeeting addressbook, and
the Evolution calendar : you could schedule a meeting with somebody, and
Evolution could propose to the user to try to contact the remote user,
either calling his computer, or calling his phone number if you are
using a provider for PC-To-Phone calls (Phone-To-PC calls could also be
possible).

That is the most evident example I have in mind. I think that providing
IM / VOIP tools can benefit to several applications. The IM itself could
call the remote user using GnomeMeeting.

I think that by continuing developing GnomeMeeting and integrating it in
the desktop more than it is now, it could become an essential tool for
everyday use (and I really see some corporations moving to VOIP for
internal calls for example, or meetings).

I'm open to all ideas and patches and discussions :)
--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org