Re: magicdev and non-CD devices

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:53:03PM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 00:11, Ryan Warner wrote:
>
> > Can/could magicdev be used to mount and display icons
> > for other devices like my zip drive or compact flash?
> > In other words, any removable media.
> >
> > The current state doesn't seem ideal, but any ideas on
> > accomplishing cleanly accomplishing this today.
> > (magicdev or otherwise)
>
> You can't quite push "implementation details aside" since that is what
> is the problem.  ;-)
>
> I think the D-BUS list has a lot of discussion on this; the problem is
> getting userspace (like magicdev) to know when a new device is
> attached.  Again, check the d-bus list archives (on freedesktop.org)

Right, dbus is probably the right place.  Thats one of the things I
was very interested in.  Offhand, you'd have to have some sort of userspace
daemon that polled the cd devices and then broadcast on the message
bus to interested parties.  One could easily hack magicdev to listen
on a dbus channel (for a lack of a better word) and then do the same thing.

sri