Re: Major change in desktop handling

Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
Things that would be nice to have still:

      * A desktop button in the file selector, as well as a Home button.
        We really do need a good file selector with bookmarks and
        gnome-vfs support. The gtk filesel is not that bad, but it just
        lacks everything but the very basic functionality.

Two buttons when we can go with just one (using $HOME as desktop)??? This doesn't help to make a simpler, cleaner, gnome desktop.

      * Even more speed for Nautilus, this has improved dramatically and
        the slowness was one of the reasons I know that drove me to find
        solutions to find my files faster. But still, under moderate

Find files faster? I can't imagine a faster way to find my files than having them in front of me. I can't also understand why people insist in having two different locations for something unique, which force two buttons on file selectors. In the old gnome1 days, my $HOME was a crap. Now, with desktop = $HOME, everything is cleaned up. It forces you to clean up things.

If we are going to let users crap the $HOME dir, and have a tidy desktop, then PLEASE, remove the $HOME button from everywhere. It does not make any sense.

        system load opening folders can get slow. I guess this is
        unavoidable too, but it still sucks to be the user at that
        point.

--
Manuel Clos
llanero eresmas net