Re: Major change in desktop handling

Le ven 16/05/2003 �6:57, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro a �it :
> A Sex, 2003-05-16 �15:46, Julien Olivier escreveu:
> > > All apps that do this, I meant.  For example, several IRC clients I've
> > > used require a ~/ddc folder for file transfers.  (probably a bug, but
> > > good luck getting it fixed.)  Several commercial apps, for example
> > > RealPlayer, make folders that store music/video samples and downloads.
> > >

> > Maybe a good way to solve this is to create a ~/Documents by default.
> > X-Chat could then use ~/Documents/DCC to store DCC files and RealPlayer
> > could store music in ~/Documents/RealMedia or something like that. I'm
> > pretty sure that's how most apps do it on Windows, putting all their
> > stuff in "My Documents".
>
>   90% [1] (probably more) of applications out there don't care about
> GNOME integration at all.  The end result would be that you either run
> only "GNOME compliant" apps, or else get a desktop cluttered with
> unsolicited folders.  I want to run non-GNOME apps *and* keep a clean
> desktop. $HOME as desktop just makes it really impossible.

The thing is that very few apps create folders in ~/, so it could be
easy to convince them to change their behaviour. More over, it's not a
GNOME-only problem as KDE also offers the possibility to use ~/ as your
desktop.

>   By the way, doesn't KDE use ~/Desktop already?  If so, it makes more
> sense to use that too.  Windowmaker uses ~/GNUStep, IIRC (though it has
> no "desktop").  We begin to see a pattern here...

Windowmaker has a desktop ? I don't think so... I think ~/GNUStep is
just a config folder and should be renamed to ~/.GNUStep. For KDE, it
uses ~/Desktop by default but it can use ~/ very easily.