Re: new menu vfs backend

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:54:21PM -0400, Havoc Pennington was heard to remark:

> I'm not immediately planning to do an editor GUI, just leave the
> current edit mechanism (moving around vfs files in nautilus).

Mmmm, now that's interesting (and shows how I'm not keeping up with
things).  Let me get this straight: somewhere, there's a magic VFS
plugin that converts menus to VFS and back?  Is this what you're
writing?   I'm a little nervous about launching nautilus to edit
menu, but, hey, its not a bad idea, it could grow on me ...

Maybe I should scrap my menu editor ...

Umm, I know I should google this, but what's the story on things
like file meta-data?  My menu-editor had a spot in it for the 'tooltip'.
I don't want to modify my report-file format to include a slot for
a tooltip.  In a sense, 'tooltip' is a great bit of file meta-data...
"what's this file conatin? in one sentance or less" Kind of like
the 'leftmouse->properties->notes' field, except that that info
become the tooltip for my menu item.  (As well as a potential fly-over
tip in nautilus).  Where  is the properties->notes data stored?
A quick scan of my filesystem didn't reveal where the metadata is ...
(and I can't find anything in gconf).

In other words, my question is, "how can I use file metadata to
store a menu tooltip"?

> If I was writing new GUI, I think I'd ultimately like to see something
> more like the PalmPilot system than current menus - i.e. a simple
> 'browser' window with all apps and filter by category or something,
> and then a way to put your favorite 10 apps in a menu. Rather than all
> apps in a menu.  The new menu system does allow something like this to
> be implemented.

I like that.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>