Large slowdowns / networking related

Hi,

A while ago Mark Finlay noted that suddenly all his apps took ages to
start up. I've seen reports of this several times before, but this is the
first one I've seen that was succesfully resolved:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61802

I'm not entirely sure what the "network" service is, but it seems
something blocks and waits to time out if the networking setup is messed
up.

I didn't file this in bugzilla because to be quite frank I don't have any
idea what the bug is, or even if it is a bug.

thanks -mike