RE: 2.4 Proposed New Modules - System Tools

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 17:17, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 15:38, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > > From: German Poo Caaman~o [mailto:gpoo ubiobio cl]
> > > gnome-network?
> > >
> > > g-s-t:  Admins task (such as configure networks cards, set domain
> > >  and hostname, add users, etc.)
> > > g-n: Network users tools (such as network cards informacion (aka.
> > >  ifconfig), ping, traceroute, netstat, dns querys, desktop sharing,
> > >  ssh/telnet, etc.)
> >
> > So, gnome-network stuff is just utilties, and never something to change a
> > system's network configuration? If so, that's a good clear distinction. I
> > highly recommend that you write _something_ here:
> > http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-network/README
>
> 	I've just had a quick look at it. It contains:
>
>   * gnome-backup:
>
> 	A tool for backing up different sets of configuration. At the moment it
> offers the choice between backing up ~/.gconf and ~/evolution.
> I assume that it will offer the choice to backup the data remotely and
> that's the relevance to gnome-network ...
>
> 	I can't get it to do anything for me right now, but it looks promising
> considering it was only started 7 days ago :-)

yeah, don't try to make it do anything more apart from detecting you've
got a .gconf and a evolution/ directories in your home dir :-) That's
all it does so far.

but the idea, at least for the UI, is to do something similar to MacOS'
backup tool.

>   * gnome-remote-desktop:
>
> 	Allows you to spawn Xnest or VNC to login remotely using XDMCP.

>   * gnome-netinfo:
>
> 	Quite a nifty little utility to give a GUI for ping, netstat,
> traceroute and ifconfig and to do portscans.
>
> 	(If you build the tool so that (e.g. ifconfig) isn't found, things
> don't work. So, make sure it finds your ifconfig etc.)

probably we should require it in configure.in

>   * gnome-remote-shell:
>
> 	Allows you to run gnome-terminal with either a ssh or telnet commant.
>
> 	Shouldn't this respect /desktop/gnome/applications/terminal ?

hmm, right. Although those 2 gnome-remote* tools might be replaced one
of these days by a better integrated solution, to be decided in GUADEC's
BOF.

> 	(There are some others that haven't been ported to 2.2 and aren't
> built)

gnome-ppp, disabled in favor of gnome-system-tools' modem dialer, and
gnome-sync, a tool I started rewriting by did not come too far.

cheers