Re: My take on Totem and GStreamer

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 13:08, Julien MOUTTE wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I've already done a big part of backend porting in Totem for
GStreamer.

> As soon as GStreamer core version 0.6.2 will be out it will be really
stable and support lot of medias.

> IMHO the only big feature which is not in gst enabled totem is DVD
playback. And that will be a tough one if we are willing to do it
correctly.

> I would be really interested to get feedback from people using totem
with gstreamer backend to see what's missing in that port.

Error handling!!!

It's the single most important thing that's missing (apart from support
for more codecs/file types, and general "it crashes" fixes, obviously.

Take the xine backend as an example. If I play a file with a video codec
that isn't supported, you get an error message saying "codec xyz isn't
supported". With the gst backend, nothing.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault