Re: Personal remarks on Epiphany/Galeon [Was: Release Team's Almost-Final Modules List]

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 15:38, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="iain">
>
> > Where are we going to be in gnome 5.3? A desktop release with 100,000
> > applications?
>
> No, dude, read the overview. Minimal satisfaction of the greatest common
> factor. That will change over time, but it's not going to mean we try and
> pack everything into the desktop release.

Okay then, why do we feel the need to satisfy this?
This is stating the obvious but people either
a) Use what their distro gives them
b) Download the software and install it themselves

So, what advantage is there in having a collection of packages we deem
to be "the desktop" over a list of all the programs that we think are of
suitable quality and have reached the standards required, where "the
desktop" is an arbitrary subset of this total list. Arbitrary because it
depends entirely on needs that we perceive to exist or not to exist.

iain
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"