Re: The noninclusion of Gaim

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 17:57, Sean Egan wrote:

> I use Gaim and GNOME all the time and think they "fit in" together very
> well.  Gaim follows the GNOME HIG very well, follows appropriate
> freedesktop.org specifications.  I'd be interested in hearing what needs
> to be "overhauled."

While its been getting better, the UI in places is still has issues.
Compare Gaim dialog buttons with standard GNOME buttons. the Gaim ones
aren't the same size with each other and seem to have different padding.
Dialogs have separators and stuff like that, dialog buttons seem to be
in the wrong order: The edit away message dialog (which has "New away
message" as the title incidently) has the buttons
Cancel | Use | Save & Use | Save
Which I think should be
Help | Use | Save & Use |      | Cancel | Save
If even the Save & Use and Use are needed, which IMO they aren't.

The preferences dialog is awash with repeated preferences, IMO
unnecessary preferences that just add to overloading the user with
information.

Some dialogs have options in their button bar that belong in the main
dialog - The accounts dialog should only have Close in it. The other
three buttons should be part of the dialog contents.

So yeah, while Gaim is a million times improved since before the HIG UI
redo, there's a lot that can still be improved upon.

iain
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"