Re: Epiphany executable name change

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 18:13, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are going to be forced to change epiphany executable name because
> it conflicts with an older project distributed in debian.
> See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=196491 for details.
>
> Someone proposed, while we are at it, to rename to gnome-web-browser.
> Has anyone problems with it ? Assuming it's ok to do it, would be better
> to use a symlink (and to rename the real executable to epiphany-browser
> to avoid the conflict) or to rename the real executable directly ?
>
> The mime db and control center will have to be patched with the updated
> name.
>
> Thanks for any feedback

Renaming the epiphany executable seems to be a pretty bad ABI break. It
can break all sort of user configurations. I'm not sure a collision with
some old game is worth that. I mean, it took quite some time before
anyone even noticed.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a sword-wielding devious cop with nothing left to lose. She's a
chain-smoking cat-loving safe cracker who believes she is the reincarnation of
an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!