Re: GnomeVFS backend for GtkFileChooser

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 13:08, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Le jeu 30/10/2003 à 12:35, Alexander Larsson a écrit :
> > What are you talking about?
> >
> > The GtkFileSystem interface clearly is only for implementing the file
> > chooser. Its also a very very small piece of code (essentially just a
> > header) that clearly shouldn't be in its own library.
> >
> > And what would renaming gnome-vfs achieve?
>
> Well, if GtkFileSystem is moved to glib, it becomes more of a general fs
> interface than a specialized GtkFileChooser fs wrapper. Stuff in glib
> has a wide audience.
> Renaming gnome-vfs to gtk-vfs wasn't serious, but just to show that such
> an interface implementation (in the simple posix case) would end up
> duplicating parts of gnome-vfs.
> Even the GtkFileSystem interface itself would probably look a lot like
> gnome_vfs_directory_open() and friends. Once we have something like the
> directory handling part of gnome-vfs in a low layer such a glib, why not
> adding the rest ?

I still don't get it. Because we move a tiny interface, designed for one
specific thing into glib due to practical dependency issues we now might
as well add tens of thousands of new lines of code to glib?

Why does moving the interface make its a "general fs interface"?
And how does the interface duplicate any part of gnome-vfs?
If it is duplication in glib, why isn't it duplication when its in gtk+
like it is now?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a maverick white trash barbarian on a search for his missing sister.
She's a sarcastic African-American advertising executive operating on the
wrong side of the law. They fight crime!