Re: Mount point detection [was: Re: GtkFileChooser API work]

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 11:49, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> El mar, 02-09-2003 a las 09:57, Alexander Larsson escribió:
> [...]
>
> > > And do we need a way to set a default list of directories?  Can we
> > > just populate the immutable part of the list from a few well-known
> > > locations like ~, ~/Desktop, removable volumes, etc.?
> >
> > Regarding the immutable part here and removable volumes in particular.
> > This should probably be at least partly synchronized with the nautilus
> > tree sidebar. At some point this means sharing the code that does volume
> > scanning and mount detection. This part of nautilus is horrible, and
> > could do well with a rewrite, perhaps pushing it to a lower level so
> > that gnome apps could use it in the file selector.
>

> Perhaps we could do something like the Apple's autodiskmount[1] daemon?
>
> We could use DBUS as the notification protocol, this way we could share
> the removable volume notification between GNOME, KDE, XFCE or any other
> application that could need it.

Having only one application doing all the stating, monitoring and
reading of various strange files makes heaps of sense to me. Of course,
i'm not sure Gnome is ready to make DBus a dependency at the moment.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fiendish guitar-strumming romance novelist with a winning smile and a
way with the ladies. She's a virginal motormouth doctor with the soul of a
mighty warrior. They fight crime!