Re: GtkFileChooser API work [getting OT]

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 16:32, Ryan McDougall wrote:

> They're not supposed to mean anything to most people, thats why they are
> hidden.

With all due respect, bullshit.
If its on my machine, I expect it to be understandable.

I have no problem with the concept of putting things into hidden
directories, but putting them into arcane throwbacks to the late 60s
when filenames were limited to 8 characters is insane.

if given the chance I'd think .gnome-cd is much more understandable than
.etc/gnome-cd, given that I first of all have to go through the process
of thinking "What the buck does .etc mean?"[1]

>  If the user wants to look at them, its a far sight better than
> filling the home directory with hundreds of individual hidden files
> which are equally incomprehensible to people who dont know what "etc"
> means.

Then why don't we name them .a, .b, .c, .d, and so on?
Afterall, people aren't supposed to see them, so why waste valuable
diskspace on multiple letter names when one character will do?

iain
[1] Incidently what the buck does /etc mean? And /var for that
matter...oh yeah, and /usr
--
"Miss Celine Dion sings lovesongs while our cities burn"