Re: SVG format in metacity, gtk, desklets and build system for Gnome

W liÅ?cie z Å?ro, 03-09-2003, godz. 20:21, Rob Adams pisze:
> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 10:52, Marcin Antczak wrote:
> > As I said, I'm not C/C++ programmer so I don't care about problems you
> > write about, but I'm sure that everything can be done.
>
> You're admittedly not qualified to comment on the technical problems
> that are involved, yet you insist that they are not important or not
> valid?

You couldn't ommit this kind of comment, right?

Are you feeling better now? Good...

>   The simple fact of the matter is that metacity themes and SVG do
> completely different things.  It'd be like saying that we should use
> XMLRPC to do themes for metacity.  After all, they're both XML, so it
> shouldn't be a problem, right?

You - I mean C coders ;-) - take things too much verbally.

Just consider that I don't care if Metacity themes are internally
rendered as real SVG.

I just would like to have ability to define Metacity theme in SVG-like
manner and use tools which support SVG to create such themes.

I think that even though it will be rendered as bitmaps Metacity theme
format should be SVG compatible.

I think that this kind of "SVG support" will require theme-parser.c
modifications only.

> > Question is how much time it could cost to write and if there will be
> > anyone interested to take this job.
> SVG support for metacity themes has long been something that we've been
> meaning to do.  Of course, as Havoc said, it isn't possible to use SVG
> directly, but it would be a good idea to support SVG images in addition
> to pixmap-based images, perhaps even embedded directly into the theme
> file.
>
> > Besides are there any plans to create some kind of web site for Metacity
> > project? (or maybe I ask this way - is there ability for me to create
> > such web site and place this somewhere in Gnome webspace?).
> bugzilla.gnome.org is the closest thing there is to a metacity web
> site.  Please file bugs/requests/etc there.

I'll try and see.

> > And more, are there any plans to enrich this window manager with some
> > additional and useful functionality or you consider this as finished
> > project and simplicity is it's main value?
> Of course!  Numerous plans are already in place (which you can read
> about in bugzilla).  But metacity will always maintain its simplicity
> and ease-of-use, because indeed that is one of the main features of
> metacity.  That doesn't mean that metacity can't be a powerful window
> manager; indeed metacity has some very sophisticated features already,
> including highly robust multi-head and xinerama support, advanced window
> placement, robust standards-compliance, tight GNOME desktop integration,
> sophisticated yet easy-to-program themes, and many others.

It always can be more standards-compliance, and themes will be realy
easy to program when they will be compatible with SVG - I hope you agree
with me in this point.

--
Marcin Antczak <marcin antczak e-dev pl>