Re: [Patch] A clipboard daemon for gnome-settings-daemon

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:10:09AM +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> Does this address any of the valid concerns with things like Klipper the
> Jody Goldberg has raised elsewhere: content negotiation with the paste
> target, enormous memory usage in some circumstances, etc?

Maybe what we need is for the clipboard manager to essentially have
plugins. So when you install Gnumeric, you would also install a little
clipboard plugin (which would run as a process or a dlopen module,
don't know) that understood how to keep Gnumeric data in memory and in
on-disk persistent form and offer it in various formats.

I don't know though, it sounds like it could get really complicated.

A simpler example to think about than Gnumeric is maybe the text
widget; somehow you want the clipboard manager to know to ask for the
rich text form instead of the plain text, and know how to convert rich
text to plain text.

Havoc